Google Hangouts - North and South Class #1



We have an amazing class in Google Hangouts, with students grades 7-9, based on the BBC production of North and South. This class combines several things that I have really wanted to explore this year. 

First Google Hangouts - this is an incredible platform to lead a small class. What a joy it is to see the students collaborating in the Hangout. 



The second thing I wanted to explore was a Literature through Movies class (you can check my board on Pinterest for ideas) where I would have the students watch a video and then discuss it! I didn't realize how much literary value I could pulled out of one video. It has been wonderful!!! 



I chose North and South for several reasons: 
#1 - We are studying the Industrial Revolution in our Co-op this month and the time frame is perfect to explore Strikes and Unions, Working Conditions, Social problems, Child Labour and so much more!
#2 - It is readily available on both Netflix and You-tube so I knew that it would be fairly easy for the students to access.
#3 - It has very vivid characters and there are several dillemmas that they must face. Based on that it was a good one to present those dillemma's to our students. 
#4 It was a story both girls and boys could relate to! This is important because our class is mixed. 

First I started a circle in Google+ and asked students if they would like to join in the class. This has been an adjustment for me, as well as some of the students, as we had not used Google+ fully before. We had a few kinks to start with, but now we have it running smoothly!



Google doc with the questions here. 

They then collaborated in the Google Doc throughout the week. Adding their responses and reading other's responses as well. When we started the class, they put up the document and we went over the questions. I had extra questions that I asked in the session that were not on the Google doc... just to spur on more discussion.

After our discussion, several of the students left the Hangout, but others decided to stay and chat. They started playing around with the special effects and other features! What fun!

Blessings,
Natalie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!